CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Journal Entry #3

It's a slow day here, so I reckon that makes it time for another Journal Entry.

Do you like rainstorms? Do you have any memories connected with rain?

I LOVE rainstorms. Thunderstorms are the best. Even my dog doesn't mind them. But, this house that I'm in now is the best, since it has a metal roof! The garage off to the side of my bedroom has a metal roof, so I can't wait for summertime storms when I can have the windows open! I remember one afternoon at Ricks, I went for a run. Now, I don't like to run. Never have, doubt I ever will. I DO it because it's good exercise, but I don't particularly care for it. Still, this afternoon for some reason I took off, and ran in the pouring down rain. It felt fantastic! I was telling a friend last night that there are some memories that are seared into your mind, and that's one of mine. I know the whole landscape there has changed, but when I was there, AV was the last apartment building at the top of the hill. You had an amazing view of the whole city of Rexburg. Watching those dark clouds roll in over the sand dunes and the city was an awesome sight. I love those days that the forecast calls for "abundant sunshine", but sometimes, a nice good pounding thunderstorm is even better.

Not much else to talk about. Been feeling, eh, not so good. Stressed about something, and it's been affecting my sleep. I am NOT happy about that! Not a happy camper when my sleeping gets screwed up. Otherwise, it's the same old, same old here . . . . exciting, eh?

Those of you who know me, know that I love to read. In fact, Daniel, at the NBDS, has said how strange it is to walk into the room when Annette and I both have our noses in books. I've loved reading since I was a little kid, and it's nothing for me to go through a book a day if I have nothing else going on. I just finished reading a couple that . . . . well, to say I enjoyed them wouldn't be quite true, but I'm glad I read them. One of them was "Last One Out", the story of the highest ranking surviving fireman from 9-11. The other was called "Firehouse", and it's about Engine 40/Ladder 35, which sent in 13 men, with one surviving. It wasn't the easiest read, but I loved seeing these people for the individuals that they were. I've heard people talk about "noble" professions. I believe that public service, and particularly, fire-fighting, is one of these. These people are constantly willing to literally lay their lives down for strangers. There is something about these men that deserves nothing but the highest levels of respect. On the other hand, you won't find more down to earth people. Look at it this way. These guys show up, tear a house apart, drown everything, and you're grateful to them! Anyway. Good reads, if you're looking for a non-fluff type book.

0 comments: