CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Quotes and stuff

One of my strange favorite things is quotes. I love quotes. I have a whole rolodex full of quotes. My "brain" book i.e. schedule also has favorite quotes in it. Some of them are profound, deep, thought provoking things like:

"The truth is that our finest moments are likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." -M. Scott Peck

"When a door closes, another one opens. But often we stand there so long looking at the closed door, that we do not see that one that's opened." -Unknown

"The really lucky people do not necessarily have the best of everything. They are the ones who make the most of whatever life throws at them." -Unknown

Of course, the ones that are the most fun are things like:

"If your dog is fat, you're not getting enough exercise." -Unknown

"Nobody's last words have ever been, "I wish I had eaten more rice cakes." -A.Rosenthal

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat." -Ann Landers

"The trouble with trouble is that it starts out as fun." -N. Judd

Do you have a favorite quote or saying that makes meaning out of your life? Sometimes you just catch something at just the right time, on just the right day that says it just right. On my bathroom wall is one that Drew sent me. It's a picture of a poor hound dog stuck on his back, with "Some days, all you can do is wait for some kind soul to come pull you out of the bind you've gotten yourself into." Yup. That about sums it up.

2 comments:

Bob Cleveland said...

As a really old person, I have LOTS of quotes.

"Temperamental is 90% temper and 10% mental".

One of my all-time faves is from Victor Borge, who was asked how satisfied he was with the career he'd chosen:

"If during the course of my performances, I cause someone a moment of mirth, sweep away the cares of this world, and cause them to brush aside a tear of laughter, I shall consider that a sufficient reward. The IRS gets all the rest".

Amen.

Another, which falls under the heading of sound advice: "Don't ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time".

Nice site, and thanks for looking in an commenting on mine.

Bob Cleveland said...

Oh, and don't let your mom brush your hair when she's mad at your dad.